Monday, December 10, 2018

Gym Routine

Losing weight is a two-way street. You can only eat so healthy until you need to step foot into a gym, even if it is just walking on the treadmill for half an hour. Many ask me what my routine is at the gym but it has changed frequently to the point where my routine doesn't really matter as it is important to do what you feel is best for your body. Regardless of the amount of weights, intensity, length, etc.

Before we dive into what should be done, let me explain what I did exactly. As with most losing weight, the goal is to simply shed the pounds. People want to get rid of the fat as fast as they can (although it will take some time). In other words, the need to gain muscle mass isn't the immediate goal. For me, I was going to the gym simply to burn calories and eventually fat. I wasn't looking to body build at the time. It is crucial to know that losing fat and gaining muscle should not be done at the same time or else you'll be in the gym longer than you already are.

I walked/ran on the treadmill for 30/45 minutes or I would set a distance goal. After cardio, I would dedicate the rest of my time at the gym focusing in on strictly core exercises which is where a lot of fat is stored. From ab crunches to curls and planks. That is what I found to be most productive personally when all I wanted to do was lose fat.

Once I got down to a certain weight and started feeling more confident I started to expand upon my routine. I would increase my treadmill speed or add weight to my core exercises. Then came the point where I was ready to take a different approach. I got down to my lowest weight of 165 pounds and knew it was time to start building the muscle. There is only so much fat you can lose until you have to start bulking.

Since then, which was about a year ago, most of my routine now is on strength and conditioning and only a quarter is limited to cardio. What was hard fir me during this time was eating. In order to build muscle, you have to eat. That is a weird mentality to undergo because you just spent that past year watching what you eat to lose weight and now it is the opposite; watching what you eat to gain weight. That was absolutely hard for me because every time I increased my caloric intake I assumed it was just going to fat storage. My mindset has since changed.

The importance of this post is to say there is no right or wrong to working out or a gym routine (besides form on lifting). Just know that lose the fat before building muscle and don't try to imitate body builders' routines and just do what you feel is comfortable. Patience is a virtue as well. I started lifting in November of 2017 at 165lbs and now clock-in at 205lbs a year later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gym Routine

Losing weight is a two-way street. You can only eat so healthy until you need to step foot into a gym, even if it is just walking on the...