Sunday, September 30, 2018

Welcome! 'The Why?'

Welcome to my first post of my newly-branded blog, Weight Loss Peregrination. Weight can be a very sensitive topic for most. This blog, in the most humble way possible, is about my weight loss journey from the very beginning to the effects that are still experienced today in my daily life. There are so many questions people have when I mention I used to top the scales at just over 300 pounds and worked that number down to nearly 165 in just over 14-15 months. 

"How did you do it?", "What made you decide to do so?", "What did/do you eat?", "How do you feel now?", and many, many more. Yes, those ARE some valid questions that have serious answers to them. However, it goes way further beyond the scope of the 'how's' and the 'why's'. Losing weight comes with it's consequences that are sort-term as well as long-lasting that may never go away. In this series of blog posts that will follow over the next handful of weeks, serious topics will be investigated and torn open for an in-depth review of rather significant point chapters or points within the weight loss journey, for any person of that matter, that are thought to get over-looked upon. From the physical effort it takes on the dinner table and in the gym to the huge impact on the wallet to even the harshly, acute situations your mind is put through and the ongoing battle with BDD and depression. It is certainly going to get deep into thought, so buckle up!

Before we get into the intricate details of it all, let's start with the WHY of it all. It was fairly simple, I was disgusted with myself. As I grew in age and grade level in High School, I became more and more mad and sad at myself for letting me get to as big as I was when I peaked. There was no excuse. I wasn't always big but towards the end of elementary school is when the pounds started to add on...quickly. During my senior year of high school, I found myself attending many political rallies (on both sides of the aisle I may add).  Being heavy in the political sphere, I made it a goal to meet every single candidate who filed to run for the Presidency in 2016 of both major parties. In the end, I was able to accomplish that and it was truly an amazing experience. However, I would be the one who always got there very early and ended up behind or beside the candidate in the view of the dozens of television cameras in the press pool.

I would go home and see myself on the evening news behind the presidential hopeful. I wasn't happy with how big I looked. It was the first time i saw myself up-close on the screen that I knew something had to change; especially being on the verge of starting my higher education career as a media studies student. I knew I wanted to do something in TV or radio and was almost positive that the way I looked and presented myself wouldn't fly in the industry I wanted to be in. It was a day in April of 2016 that I started this journey which would turn out to be the first day of the rest of my life.


Justin

Mid-June, 2016 (5'11 @ 303 lbs)


July, 2018 (6'2 @ 203lbs)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gym Routine

Losing weight is a two-way street. You can only eat so healthy until you need to step foot into a gym, even if it is just walking on the...